Comment on page
Install Acronis Backup Agent on Linux
Acronis Backup Agent facilitates the backup and recovery of data on Linux systems. It allows users to protect and restore their data efficiently. The Acronis Agent is installed on individual machines and servers to enable seamless integration with the Acronis Backup infrastructure, providing features such as scheduled backups, recovery options, and data protection in various environments.
- Ensure that you have the following:
- Only contract administrators, owners, and users with the Create Backup Units privilege can use the Backup Console.
- For Ubuntu and Debian, update the package list using:
sudo apt-get update
- For CentOS, Rocky, and Alma, update the package list using:
sudo yum makecache
- Make sure to install
wgetusing either of these:
sudo yum install wget
sudo apt install wget
- 1.In the DCD, go to Menu > Storage > Backup Console.Select the Backup Console option from the drop-down menu.
- 2.Select a backup unit from the drop-down menu for which you want to download the backup agent installer.
- 3.A Backup window will open up with the Backup URL. Go to DEVICES > +Add.Devices menu in the Backup Console
- 4.In Add Devices window, scroll down to SERVERS and then select Linux.Select Servers option in the Add Devices window.
Allow downloads on the Backup URL
- You can cancel the download if you only need the URL.
- Open the Download Folder on your browser and copy the link address. Delete everything after
.binto get the download URL directly. Now you can use the URL to download the backup agent installer on your target machine. Example:
Result: The Backup Agent Installer is now downloaded.
- 1.To make the downloaded binary file executable, use:
chmod u+x name_of_your_agent.bin
- 2.Run the installer file by executing the following command:
- 3.The Acronis Agent setup will now be initiated. Select the components that you want to install from the Component Selection list. You can choose Agent for Linux and then select Next.Select the Agent for Linux component from the component list.
- 4.To install the required packages automatically, select Continue; otherwise, select Skip.Select the Continue option to install the required packages.
- 5.The installation of the required packages will begin.Installation of the required packages.
- 6.Once the installation is completed, a prompt to register the machine will be displayed. To get the registration information, select Show registration info and hit Enter.Pop-up showing the complete registration information.
- 7.You will see a Registration link and a Registration code. Use the Registration Code to register a machine in the Backup Console.Copy the Registration link and code to register your machine.
- 8.To register a machine in the console devices, go to console DEVICES > + Add > REGISTRATION VIA CODE. Click REGISTER.Select the REGISTRATION VIA CODE option to register your machine.
Result: The Backup Agent is now installed and registered in the console devices.
The installation of Acronis Backup Agent, for which you do not need to select options or provide input for each step, you can use either of the following methods:
For unattended installation, you need to generate a token first:
- 1.In the Backup window, go to DEVICES and click +Add.Devices menu in the Backup Console
- 2.Scroll down to REGISTRATION TOKEN > GENERATE.Generate registration token in the Backup Console
- 3.Run the following command:
./name_of_agent.bin -a --rain="https://backup.xyz.com" --token=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Result: The installation will be completed using token and without being prompted for additional information.
Run the following command:
./name_of_agent.bin -a --rain="https://backup.xyz.com" --login=contractnumber- backupunitname --password=xxxxx
Result: The installation will be completed using backup unit credentials and without being prompted for additional information.